The Redmond Committee for Art in Public Places was created on May 23, 2006 by City Ordinance No. 2006-08. Its purpose is to introduce art into select public locations and situations in order to create a unique sense of place and enhance community identity throughout Redmond. The City of Redmond’s Community Development Department provides staff support for the Committee’s activities.
The Committee is entrusted with the following powers and duties:
- Provide recommendations regarding specific art projects and their locations to the City Council for approval.
- Support the City Council with developing the City art collection by making recommendations on the acquisition of artwork through various means including donations and commissions.
- Inventory and maintain the City art collection including an annual inventory and work with the Public Works Department to facilitate any necessary repairs.
- Develop an inventory list of all publicly owned sites for potential future art installations.
- Recommend funding procedures for ongoing programs from various sources.
- Identify and provide educational and awareness opportunities associated with public art and help facilitate their implementation.
- Assist other City commissions and agencies in using public art to enhance and enrich the lives of visitors and residents.
- Provide connections with other local, regional and national organizations working for the benefit of art and preservation of artistic values, and other similar activities.
- Identify and establish communications with groups and organizations that enrich Redmond life by bringing cultural and artistic values and artifacts to the City.
- Collaborate with public and private agencies to consider the aesthetics of art and its placement in the community.
REDMOND COMMITTEE for
If the committee has vacancies, applications will be accepted until all positions are filled. Download APPLICATION (pdf)
The Committee is composed of 9 residents of the Redmond School District 2J, each appointed by the Mayor and approved by the City Council. Following is a list of Committee members (all terms expire December 31st of the year listed):
|Linda Gilmore Hill, Chair||2021|
|Betty Jo Simmons, Vice Chair||2019|
|Elijah Gasper, Youth Ex-Officio||2018|
|Council Liaison, Ginny McPherson|
The Committee currently meets the third Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall (unless otherwise noted), located at 411 SW 9th Street. Agendas, minutes and additional meeting information may be found on the Meetings and Agendas page.
Please take a moment to visit the public art page to learn about some of the exciting projects the Committee has been working on and find out how to become a part of them!