Work exempt from permit
Exemptions from permit requirements of the 2014 Oregon Structural Specialty Code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:
If a building is on the Historical Registry there may be additional requirements required to make any changes to a building so please contact Scott Woodford Associate Planner at 541-923-7758.
1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor are is not greater than 120 square feet.
2. Fences not over 7 feet high.
3. Oil derricks.
4. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I,II or IIIA liquids.
5. Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity is not greater than 5,000 gallons (18,923L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width is not greater than 2:1.
6. Platforms, sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grad, and not over any basement of story below and are not part of an accessible route.
7. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets counter tops and similar finish work.
8. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
9. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610) deep, are not greater than 5,000 gallons (18925 L) and are installed entirely above ground. Permitting may be required through Deschutes County Health Department be sure to check into this.
10. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
11. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Groups R-2 and U occupancies.
12. Non fixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.
13. Farm or forest use agricultural buildings exempted in ORS 45.315 (see also Appendix C).
14. Equine facilities exempted in ORS 455.315.
Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits may be required for the above exempted items. Additionally, all new construction and substantial improvements (including the placement of prefabricated buildings and certain building work exempt from permit under Section 105.2) Shall be designed and constructed with methods, practices and materials that minimize flood damage in accordance with this code.
If you have any questions regarding required permits for commercial structures please feel free to call us at Building Department at 541-923-7721.