FOG is a problem for the drainage pipes in your home and in businesses. Most foods and many drinks contain FOG. When these are put into the sewer, the FOG attaches to the sides of sewer pipes, reducing the flow. This can cause raw sewage to back up into your home or business, resulting in extensive building and property damage for you or your neighbors.
That is bad for human health, bad for your pocketbook, and bad for the environment. Causing a blockage of a public sewer system is also a violation of the federal Clean Water Act, State and local laws. The result for you may be an expensive visit from a plumber, insurance claims, and penalties for damage to the public sewer system.
The good news is that you can do much to prevent the buildup of FOG in pipes, both yours and the City’s. The City of Redmond thus manages a FOG control program to help keep FOG out of the sewer.
How You Can Help!
- Never pour greasy liquids down sinks or toilets.
- Pour grease and oil into a can, store it in the freezer, and put it in the garbage can on pickup day.
- Scrape food scraps into the trash instead of using the in-sink garbage disposal.
- Install a food strainer in kitchen sink drains and empty them into the garbage can.
- Recycle used motor oil in the curbside pickup program.
Food Service Establishments (FSEs) and Repair Shops:
- Use a sealed grease dumpster or barrel to collect oils and grease for recycling.
- Close the grease dumpster lid after use to keep the rain out.
- Never pour grease or oil into sinks, floor drains, parking lots or streets.
- Dry scrape and wipe food dishes, bowls and pans into the garbage can prior to washing.
- Use a grease interceptor or oil/water separator.
- Check and maintain interceptors regularly.
- Clean interceptors and dispose of interceptor waste properly, not in the garbage can.
To learn about specific requirements for Food Service Establishments, such as proper interceptor cleaning, disposal, and reporting, see the City of Redmond FOG Brochure.
Interceptor cleaning report forms in triplicate-copy books are available at no-charge by contacting the City of Redmond Wastewater Division.
See the Preferred Pumper Program, for a list of interceptor cleaning service providers.
Please call the City of Redmond Wastewater Division for more information at 541-504-5075.